Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cocottes pour les cocottes


Once again, in the vein of Masterchef, I decided to try something different with the usual eggs and bacon. 

For the very first time in my life, I made eggs en cocotte. Don't they look pretty? 

I made two batches - one in the oven and one on the stove. The ones on the stove got overcooked and were horrendous, overcooked, and rubbery. The ones from the oven are shown above - gorgeous! 

Did I mention my son hates eggs? He will only eat eggs if they don't look like eggs, and if accompanied by bacon, though only if the bacon is withheld as a reward/bribe for finishing the eggs. But, silly Masterchef-minded mommy thought that an egg that looked like an egg would be appetizing to a child who hates eggs. Must've been right after I burned my hand by holding the panhandle in the oven without a mitt...injuries seem to destroy brain cells as well as nerve endings!

I think any kid would love to have a plate fashioned for him like this:


That is, if they liked eggs...

Needless to say, there was much opposition at the table, with the familiar "I DON'T LIKE EGGS" rallying battle cry heard several times during the meal. 

I really should just make bacon sandwiches for breakfast on the weekends. Without bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment